NOTIFICATION: The Technology Channels will soon be discontinued.
Click here to download complimentary copies of Fastmarkets RISI’s pulp and paper newsletters.


Eldorado releases 2014 sustainability report

Read so far

Eldorado releases 2014 sustainability report

August 19, 2015 - 14:45
Posted in:

SAO PAULO, 17 August 2015 (RISI) - Eldorado Brasil has issued its 2014 Sustainability Report. According to the document, the company hit a production of 1.56 million tonnes of bleached eucalyptus kraft (BEK) pulp at its Três Lagoas mill, in Mato Grosso do Sul state, Midwest Brazil. This year, Eldorado expects to produce 1.6 million tonnes of pulp, or 10% more than the mill's nominal capacity. The company is currently building a second pulp line at the Três Lagoas site, which will raise its capacity to 4 million tonnes/yr by 2018, according to the CEO José Carlos Grubisich.

The executive mentioned that Eldorado had a record gross revenue of Real 2.5 billion on 2014, 43% higher than 2013. The company sold 1.5 million tonnes of BEK pulp to customers in the Americas, Asia and Europe in 2014, 35% over the volume sold in 2013. The tissue segment continued the main consumer for Eldorado's pulp, accounting for 45% of the company's sales in 2014, with an annual growth rate over 10%. Printing/writing paper accounted for 37% of Eldorado's sales, specialty paper for 11% and boxboard for 6%.

Grubisich stated that Eldorado improved its forest operations and is aiming to reduce costs by eliminating eucalyptus harvesting activities in São Paulo states and concentrating everything in Mato Grosso do Sul. Currently, Eldorado owns 16% of its productive lands and the remaining 84% belongs to third parties. The company's total forest area is 200,000 ha.

On the energy side, Eldorado said it produced all electricity it needed in 2014 and traded 551,788 MW of excess energy to industrial partners and the national grid.

As for logistics, Eldorado launched on June 30, 2015 its new export terminal at the Santos port, in São Paulo state, with capacity to handle up to 1.2 million tonnes/yr of break bulk pulp.