NOTIFICATION: The Technology Channels will soon be discontinued.
Click here to download complimentary copies of Fastmarkets RISI’s pulp and paper newsletters.


CMPC Biopackaging launches project seeking new alternatives for fiber

Read so far

CMPC Biopackaging launches project seeking new alternatives for fiber

November 17, 2020 - 18:00
Posted in:

SAO PAULO, Nov. 17, 2020 (PPI Latin America) -CMPC Biopackaging’s division has launched a new project focused on finding alternative fibers to be used as raw materials for its molded trays in Chile. Known as the Fibras Project, the taskforce conduced laboratory and industrial tests this year to assess the feasibility of incorporating fiber waste from reject streams, not used in paper production, from the productive processes taking place at Softys tissue Talagante plant.

According to CMPC, the Talagante mill rejects enough fiber to supply 30-40% of the total fiber required for molded pulp products. “The remaining 60% could be obtained from another CMPC subsidiary, Cordillera, but the technical feasibility still needs to be assessed by characterizing the rejected material,” the company said.

The results were positive and procedures for getting environmental authorization to incorporate and store these new inputs are underway. Through this initiative, which requires recipe adjustments and the use of auxiliary equipment, CMPC stated that a significant volume of rejected fiber will be sent to its corrugated molded pulp mill.

“Ongoing improvements are being made with online waste traceability through truck orders and their weight records, as well as progress in the delivery of compostable bags for organic waste, with the objective of handling 100% of these in-house. Finally, to date, 4.28 tonnes of organic waste have been processed in local green areas,” CMPC detailed.

The project is being conducted within the framework of the Clean Production Agreement for Zero Waste to Landfill (APL in Spanish), targeting to recover 100% of rejected Softys fibers. The company said that another project of interest for this division is Semilleros, which uses rejected fibers and paper sludge to produce seedbeds that biodegrade directly into the soil to be used at Forestal Mininco’s Carlos Douglas nursery. This project is currently in the industrial design phase and is expected to be fully operational in three to four months.