- VIENNA, Austria, Jan. 19, 2021 (Press Release) -
- Mondi’s new paper machine at its Czech mill in Štětí is dedicated to producing 100% recyclable speciality kraft paper for shopping bags using a combination of fresh and recycled fibres to prioritise sustainability without compromising on strength
- The €67 million investment responds to growing consumer preference and legislative change to reduce plastic waste and demonstrates the company's commitment to supporting the circular economy
- This new paper machine for shopping bags broadens Mondi’s leading portfolio, placing the group at the forefront of European kraft paper production
Mondi, a global leader in packaging and paper, has started up its new speciality kraft paper machine at its Štětí mill in the Czech Republic. The €67 million investment in the machine makes it Europe’s first dedicated paper machine for speciality kraft paper grades made out of fresh and recycled fibre for retail and online shopping bags.
The paper machine will produce up to 130,000 tonnes of speciality kraft paper per year, meaning Mondi will have the largest product portfolio for consumer shopping bags in Europe. This includes white and brown virgin grades and now recycled paper grades that can be used in a range of bag applications from fashion stores to online grocery platforms and home deliveries. The EcoVantage two-ply paper produced on the new machine consists of recycled and sustainably sourced fresh fibres and is 100% recyclable.
The European speciality kraft paper market is expected to grow strongly driven by legislation to eliminate waste caused by plastic shopping bags and consumer preference to move away from single use plastic.
We want to offer converters and brand owners sustainable, 100% recyclable paper-based products for their retail and online shopping packaging. The papers produced on this machine will offer recycled fibre-based products with a natural look, great printability and strength properties, all pre-requisites for consumer shopping bags. We are excited to be rolling out several options from our EcoVantage range throughout 2021.
Kalle Taari, Head of Strategy & Product Management Kraft Paper, Mondi
- The paper produced will have a trim width of 4.4m, with a substance range from 70g to 135g.
- The EcoVantage range can be produced with predominantly fresh fibre-based material, and also offers combinations of fibres composed of up to 100% pre-consumer and post-consumer waste.
- Best combination of fresh and recycled fibres is available to offer required strength to hold groceries and fashion goods.
- Fibres are sourced from sustainably managed forests.
Mondi is a global leader in packaging and paper, contributing to a better world by making innovative packaging and paper solutions that are sustainable by design. Our business is fully integrated across the value chain – from managing forests and producing pulp, paper and plastic films to developing and manufacturing effective industrial and consumer packaging solutions. Sustainability is at the centre of our strategy and intrinsic in the way we do business. We lead the industry with our customer- centric approach, EcoSolutions, where we ask the right questions to find the most sustainable solution. In 2019, Mondi had revenues of €7.27 billion and underlying EBITDA of €1.66 billion.
Mondi has a premium listing on the London Stock Exchange (MNDI), and a secondary listing on the JSE Limited (MNP). Mondi is a FTSE 100 constituent, and has been included in the FTSE4Good Index Series since 2008 and the FTSE/JSE Responsible Investment Index Series since 2007.