LONDON, Dec. 19, 2019 (Press Release) -In a world-first, Mondelez International has launched its Cadbury Energy bar in new packaging made from 100 percent recyclable sustainably sourced paper that will be trialled and tested exclusively by New Zealand consumers.
The trial will test the durability and effectiveness of the paper packaging in transport plus gather feedback from consumers who can receive their free sample at Westfield Newmarket, Auckland on Saturday 21 December.
It is the first time the company has used a paper material that doesn’t include laminates, foils or plastics for fully-sealed flow-wrap packaging. Many existing paper-based food wraps have a thin plastic film to protect the product, however the Cadbury Energy paper acts as the barrier to protect food and ensure freshness.
Cara Liebrock, Managing Director, Mondelez International New Zealand, says, “We are committed to making 100 percent of our packaging recyclable by 2025. While Cadbury is enjoyed by millions of people around the world, we’re excited to be able to do this innovative trial here in New Zealand.
“Given this is a world-first for us and the material is at the leading edge of packaging innovation, we’re committed to finding innovative solutions to the sustainability challenges facing the planet and this trial is a great example of this,” said Cara.
Alternative packaging materials are just one part of the solution. Mondelez International is working on a range of global and local sustainability initiatives designed to minimise our impact on the planet, including support for companies developing plastic recycling technology and reducing the amount of packaging we use.
About Mondelēz International
Mondelēz International, Inc. (NASDAQ: MDLZ) empowers people to snack right in over 150 countries around the world. With 2018 net revenues of approximately $26 billion, MDLZ is leading the future of snacking with iconic global and local brands such as Oreo, belVita and LU biscuits; Cadbury Dairy Milk, Milka and Toblerone chocolate; Sour Patch Kids candy and Trident gum. Mondelēz International is a proud member of the Standard and Poor’s 500, Nasdaq 100 and Dow Jones Sustainability Index. Visit www.mondelezinternational.com or follow the company on Twitter at www.twitter.com/MDLZ.
About Mondelēz International and our commitment to sustainable snacking
Creating a Future Where People and Planet Thrive.
At Mondelēz International, we’re on a mission to lead the future of snacking by creating snacks the right way for both people and planet to love. We’re focused on making our snacks more sustainably by using less energy, water and waste, with ingredients consumers know and trust. We have specific goals to which we hold ourselves accountable, and we’re continuing to make progress and scale our efforts to deliver meaningful change.
By 2025, we will:
- Use 100% recyclable packaging - Any one of our snacks you enjoy will come in minimal, 100% recyclable packaging to reduce waste and protect our environment.
- Reduce our end-to-end CO2 emissions - We’ll continue to improve our energy consumption by improving energy management systems and investing in energy efficient technology.
- Reduce water usage in priority locations - Our goal is to reduce water use by 10% in manufacturing sites where water is most scarce.
- Source 100% sustainable cocoa - We are scaling our Cocoa Life sustainability program so that by 2025, 100 percent of the cocoa volume for our chocolate brands is sourced sustainably.
- Reduce food waste - With a focus on reducing manufacturing waste, we’re committed to searching for innovative reductive solutions among our facilities and associates around the globe.