GRAZ, Austria, June 21, 2021 (Press Release) -International technology group ANDRITZ has received an order from Mayr-Melnhof Karton, Austria, to rebuild its KM3 at the mill in Frohnleiten. The aim of the rebuild is to increase production as well as improve quality and the ecological footprint. Start-up is scheduled for 2023.
The scope of supply comprises:
- Rebuild of the wire section, including major modifications to the approach flow systems with new pumps, upgrade of three existing headboxes and the hybrid former, as well as a new 2-layer PrimeFlow AT headbox with the latest state-of-the art dilution water CD profiling for better high-end product quality
- New press section with two PrimePress X shoe presses for gentle, energy-efficient dewatering and bulk savings at higher dryness
- Rebuild of the pre-dryer section with PrimeRun web stabilizers for improved runability
- Upgrade of two under-machine pulpers in the area of the press and pre-dryer section
- Complete adaptation of the automation system to accommodate the scope of supply
- Machine clothings for the complete scope of supply
- Assembly, start-up and production assistance
The board machine KM3 has a design speed of 800 m/min and a wire width of 5 m. It produces folding boxboard (chromo duplex quality) with 230–450 gsm.
ANDRITZ will also adapt the automation system of the stock preparation lines for board machines KM2 and KM3 in Frohnleiten. The upgraded automation system will enable high equipment availability as well as fast and easy operation and maintenance. The modifications will be made in several stages, with final completion planned for 2022.
Mayr-Melnhof Karton is Europe's leading board producer. With a capacity of 540,000 t/y recycling board, the mill in Frohnleiten, Austria, has the highest production capacity in the European cartonboard industry.
International technology group ANDRITZ offers a broad portfolio of innovative plants, equipment, systems and services for the pulp and paper industry, the hydropower sector, the metals processing and forming industry, pumps, solid/liquid separation in the municipal and industrial sectors, as well as animal feed and biomass pelleting. Plants for power generation, flue gas cleaning, recycling, and the production of nonwovens and panelboard complete the global product and service offering. Innovative products and services in the industrial digitalization sector are offered under the brand name Metris and help customers to make their plants more user-friendly, efficient and profitable. The publicly listed group has around 26,950 employees and more than 280 locations in over 40 countries.
ANDRITZ PULP & PAPER
ANDRITZ Pulp & Paper provides equipment, systems, complete plants and services for the production of all types of pulp, paper, board and tissue. The technologies and services focus on maximum utilization of raw materials, increased production efficiency and sustainability as well as lower overall operating costs. Boilers for power generation, flue gas cleaning systems, plants for the production of nonwovens and panelboard (MDF), as well as recycling and shredding solutions for various waste materials also form a part of this business area. State-of-the-art IIoT technologies as part of Metris digitalization solutions complete the comprehensive product offering.