Ports in New Orleans and Mobile brace for Hurricane Nate impact over weekend

Read so far

Ports in New Orleans and Mobile brace for Hurricane Nate impact over weekend

October 07, 2017 - 12:57
Posted in:

OAKLAND, CA, Oct. 7, 2017 (RISI) -The Port of New Orleans said Friday that terminal operations were continuing as normal as officials monitor Hurricane Nate, expected to make landfall in the north Gulf Coast region on Saturday night as a Category 2 storm.

The port said the mouth of the Mississippi River was closed to all inbound and outbound traffic. Port officials were monitoring National Weather Service advisories and coordinating with all deep-draft ports, US Army Corps of Engineers, US Coast Guard, pilot associations, and industry stakeholders.

“We remain in frequent contact with all members of the maritime community,” the port said Friday. “As always, safety is our top priority for our employees and the entire port community.”

The Port of Mobile, AL, was also closed ahead of the storm, according to reports.

The Alabama State Port Authority has stopped accepting loaded barges and has notified ships to complete loading and unloading as of 6 p.m. Friday, AL.com reported.