NOTIFICATION: The Technology Channels will soon be discontinued.
Click here to download complimentary copies of Fastmarkets RISI’s pulp and paper newsletters.

 

Bio-PAPPEL: The new (sustainable) way to make paper - Part II

Read so far

Bio-PAPPEL: The new (sustainable) way to make paper - Part II

April 23, 2012 - 02:49
Posted in:

BRUSSELS, April 23, 2012 (RISI) -Mexico-based Bio-PAPPEL's efforts are showing a new way to make paper using less water, less energy, and fewer trees. Converting all of their mills to 100% recycled furnish has helped the company's mills save more than 685,000 trees per year. Read Part Ihere.

With the potential to generate more energy, there are hopes for another paper machine as well as another converting plant at the site, which would use the extra power.

The BHS 88-in. corrugator was installed in 2010 and can produce 2 billion ft2/yr at 1,100 m/min

Although built after the Beloit bankruptcy, the mill installed mostly Beloit technology in the recycling plant and paper machine, using Beloit Enertec out of Spain to supply the equipment. The pulp mill design capacity is 720-750 tons/day. Siemens supplied the automation systems.

The paper machine produces a four-ply containerboard from three headboxes. Design speed is 750 m/min and minimum speed is 350 m/min. Basis weight is 112-270 g/m2. The mill has a coater but it is not being used at the moment as the mill is concentrating on containerboard.

Design capacity of the paper machine is 600 tons/day. In some grades, Tizayuca is reaching capacity but at low basis weights, the presses can pose a problem. Bio-PAPPEL was scheduled to modify the press section in March, by installing double felting.

Most of the mill's production stays in house, going to one of Bio-PAPPEL converting plants. About 85% is converted by the company, the other 15% is sold. This is about the same split for the company's other board mills. With one of the world's largest cities on its doorstep, the Mexico City region is the mill's largest market.

The press section was due to be modified in March

Bio-PAPPEL recently opened another of its mega converting plants at the Tizayuca location. With traffic congestion in Mexico City growing all the time, the company is thinking about moving one of its converting plants in the city out to Tizayuca.

The Tizayuca plant is Bio-PAPPEL's third mega converting facility. All the utilities - gas, electricity, water, water - are integrated with the paper mill.

In 2010, it installed a BHS high-speed corrugator that has triple the capacity of most corrugators in Mexico.

Bio-PAPPEL management is very satisfied with the performance of the new corrugators. It has also proven a hit with customers. Quality is excellent and Bio-PAPPEL can achieve the good box compression test numbers with lower basis weights, the equivalent of other, higher basis weight boxes. Steam use is more efficient and the flutes (A, B or C) are better. There is an automated order change feature that allows the plant to run smaller orders without changing machine speed.

Mining the urban forest
As one of the major paper suppliers in Latin America, Bio-PAPPEL is committed to “mining the urban forest.” To that end, it invested more than $500 million over a 10-year period to convert all its mills to a 100% recycled furnish. In 2010, it recycled 1.5 million tons of paper, saving, it claims, 685,000 trees.
The company operates more than 30 units: paper mills, packaging and sack plants, fiber collection facilities. There are four business units: Printing; Kraft, International and Packaging. It became Bio-PAPPEL in 2010, operating previously as Durango. Its installed capacity of paper and paper products is now 2.2 million tons/yr.
Employing more than 8,000 people, Bio-PAPPEL is also active in the community sponsoring a national recycling award in Mexico as well as numerous social medical and educational programs.The Bio-PAPPEL Foundation is active in such causes as children with cancer, Down’s Syndrome as well as the blind and elderly.