BANBURY, UK, Feb. 28, 2019 (Press Release) -WRAP and OPRL (On-Pack Recycling Label) have today announced a strategic partnership which sets out how the two organisations will work together towards meeting the UK’s recycling targets.
To achieve packaging recycling targets of 70% by 2030 (Circular Economy package target) and 70% of plastic packaging by 2025 (The UK Plastics Pact target), the partnership will focus on:
- Providing consistent messaging on-pack to reduce confusion amongst consumers in the UK about what can and can’t be recycled
- Improving the quality and quantity of household recycling in the UK
- Improving the quality and quantity of ‘on the go’ recycling in the UK
WRAP will continue its delivery of the successful Recycle Now citizen campaign alongside broader recycling messages, while OPRL will remain responsible for on-pack recycling messages, using Recycle Now iconography under exclusive license.
Peter Maddox, Director of WRAP UK, said: “It’s been ten years since WRAP helped launch OPRL, together with the British Retail Consortium and Food & Drink Federation, and I’m delighted to mark this milestone by formalising our strategic partnership.
“Our latest research for Recycle Now shows that more than half (54%) of citizens put at least one item in the general rubbish bin that could have been recycled. Therefore helping citizens to recycle more, and more often, is crucial to achieving the targets we have committed to. It makes absolute sense that we do this in close partnership with OPRL, whose on pack messaging is recognised and understood by more than three in four citizens.”
Jane Bevis, Chair of OPRL, said: “Our continuing close relationship with WRAP is very important to us as we know consistent, evidenced messaging is essential in securing the trust and action of citizens. OPRL’s latest research shows that advice on-pack is the single most important source of information for citizens on recycling, but that people also seek information from other trusted sources to support this.
“Maintaining and developing further the strong links between OPRL’s on-pack messaging, and WRAP’s work through their Recycle Now campaign and local authority communications, remains essential to delivering more and better recycling of packaging.”
- First established in 2000, WRAP is a not for profit organisation which works with governments, businesses and citizens to create a world in which we source and use resources sustainably.
- Our impact spans the entire life-cycle of the food we eat, the clothes we wear and the products we buy, from production to consumption and beyond.
- Recycle Now encourages people in the UK to recycle more things, more often, from all around the home. The campaign aims to encourage behaviour change across the UK to reduce the amount of waste produced and use resources in an efficient way.
- OPRL Ltd operates the UK-wide On-Pack Recycling Label scheme used by hundreds of brands owned by over 330 members. OPRL is an independent not-for-profit company limited by guarantee, with the support of ACE UK, CPI, INCPEN, LARAC and RECOUP as guarantors.
- Established as a company in March 2009 to help retailers and brands engage their customers in recycling packaging, OPRL Ltd opened membership to the wider packaging supply chain in September 2017, and compliance schemes in August 2018. From February 2019 this is being extended to all packaging and sustainability consultancies.