GENEVA, Jan. 25, 2018 (Press Release) -“We are delighted to welcome Olam International and Mondi Group as International Stakeholder members,” said Ben Gunneberg, CEO of PEFC International, following the acceptance of the two new members.
“By becoming members, these organizations help and support us in our vital work to ensure the sustainable management of the world’s forests.”
The new members
Mondi plc is a global packaging and paper group, employing around 25,000 people across more than 30 countries. They are fully integrated across the packaging and paper value chain, from managing forests and producing pulp, paper and compound plastics, to developing effective and innovative industrial and consumer packaging solutions.
“We wish to become PEFC International Stakeholder members due to the large quantity of PEFC-certified material in our supply chains and we want to participate constructively in the development of PEFC,” said Christian Skilich, Mondi’s Group Operations Services and Technical Director.
Olam International Limited is a leading agri-business operating from seed to shelf in 70 countries, supplying food and industrial raw materials to over 23,000 customers worldwide. Their team of 70,000 employees has built a leadership position in many businesses including cocoa, coffee, cashew, rice and cotton.
“Olam is committed to responsible forest management practices and to upholding international certification standards for our concessions which are located in the Republic of Congo (Brazzaville),” said Darshan Raiyani, Global Head of Wood Products at Olam International.
“We look forward to collaborating with our peers at PEFC to further safeguard the world’s forests and continue our efforts to grow responsibly.”
With these two new members, we now count 30 International Stakeholder members, as well as 49 National members.
Benefits and opportunities of PEFC membership
- Participate in the PEFC General Assembly with full voting rights
- Join PEFC working groups and committees on relevant topics including standards revision, marketing and regional promotions.
- Apply to PEFC’s Collaboration Fund for funding opportunities.
- Partner with PEFC and other members on projects around the world.
- Nominate representatives for consideration to the PEFC Board of Directors.
- Support PEFC’s promotion of sustainable forest management and responsible procurement.
- Engage in joint activities to increase the uptake of certiﬁcation and market demand.
- Beneﬁt from bespoke training for your staff from the PEFC International team.
- Exchange and discuss with other sustainability leaders at PEFC events.
- Stay informed and abreast of PEFC developments throughout the year.