MONTREAL, Oct. 15, 2018 (Press Release) -Resolute has earned two 2018 Business Intelligence Group (BIG) Awards for Business: the Green Company of the Year Award and the Green Product of the Year Award, both in the Manufacturing category. The Green Company of the Year Award recognizes our business and sustainability strategies, which are focused on improving the energy efficiency of our operations, producing renewable energy, and reducing waste as well as our reliance on fossil fuels. These strategies have been expressly developed to align our efforts in environmental stewardship and social responsibility with our business objectives, an approach that reinforces our vision that profitability and sustainability drive our future. Our Green Heritage® recycled tissue line was selected as the Green Product of the Year.
“We are so proud to reward Resolute for their outstanding 2018 results,” said Maria Jimenez, chief nomination officer of the Business Intelligence Group. “This year’s group of winners are clearly leading by example in the global business community.”
Key elements of our environmental performance were examined as part of the selection process for the Green Company of the Year Award, including:
- Our commitment to reducing greenhouse gas emissions
- As a member of the American Forest and Paper Association (AF&PA), we support the industry’s goal of surpassing a 20% reduction in greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions by 2020, based on 2005 levels.
- We embrace the Forest Products Association of Canada’s (FPAC) “30 by 30” Climate Change Challenge to remove 30 megatons of CO2per year by 2030.
- At year-end 2017, we had reduced our scope 1 and 2 absolute GHG emissions by 76%, relative to 2000 levels.
- Our operations have been coal-free (scope 1) since 2014.
- Our work to increase our use of energy from renewable sources
- We source 74% of our total energy (electricity and fuel) needs from renewable sources.
- Our network of 14 power generation assets produced 978 GWh of hydroelectricity in 2017.
- Our adherence to rigorous certification standards
- We maintain 100% forest management (FM) and chain of custody (CoC) certifications to internationally recognized standards.
- All of our operations are certified, or in the process of being certified, to the ISO 14001 environmental management standard.
The BIG Awards for Business programs was launched in 2012 with the goal of offering companies, their products, their people and their tactics a chance to be globally recognized by panels of business veterans and leaders.
These awards mark the third time Resolute has been recognized by the Business Intelligence Group. In 2017, Seth Kursman, vice president, Corporate Communications, Sustainability and Government Affairs, received the organization’s top individual honor. In July 2018, Resolute earned top marks in the BIG Sustainability Awards.