OSLO, Norway, March 12, 2020 (Press Release) -ENOVA and the NOX-Fund have allocated a total of NOK 66 million for energy efficiency measures at Norske Skog Saugbrugs. Saugbrugs invests a total of NOK 165 million in energy-efficient measures at the plant. After extensive development work and successful investments over several years, Norske Skog Saugbrugs has already created one of the world's most energy efficient processes for the production of thermomechanical pulp (TMP) for magazine paper. The measures will take the company another step towards an even lower energy consumption.
- We want to create a groundbreaking low energy consumption in our fiber production. Saugbrugs will be the benchmark for the industry, and with these energy measures, we also want to create good overall profitability at the mill, says Kjell-Arve Kure, Managing Director of Norske Skog Saugbrugs.
Saugbrugs has received support for two different energy-reducing projects, both of which will significantly reduce energy consumption:
- The NEXT project aims to reduce the electrical energy consumption in wood pulp production by around 90 GWh / year, which reduces the efficiency of normal operation by approximately 11 MW. Enova has allocated up to NOK 37 million for the NEXT project.
- Therminator has a goal of reducing thermal energy consumption. This will result in an annual saving of 127 GWh. The NOX Fund has pledged support of up to NOK 29 million.
- The project is exciting and motivating for our highly competent staff. We will in a new way integrate and optimize a combination of different technologies that will give us great energy-reducing effects,” says Kure.
CEO of Norske Skog ASA, Sven Ombudstvedt states:
- Norske Skog Saugbrugs has for a long time delivered promising energy-efficient results, and now we have great ambitions to change the world view on energy efficiency.
Enova has for a long time followed the research and development work at the company and has been impressed:
- Utilizing energy and resources more efficiently is central to the transition of Norway to a low-emission society. Norske Skog Saugbrugs is an example of one of several Norwegian industrial companies that have world-class energy efficiency work. Now they are taking a step further. In Halden, this project will contribute to a significant decline in electricity consumption, says Enova’s Strategy Director Tonje Foss.
Cancelled press conference
The announced press conference on March 12, where the Prime Minister had planned to be present, has been cancelled due to the situation around the corona virus.
About Norske Skog Saugbrugs
Norske Skog Saugbrugs has 445 employees, with a turnover of NOK 2.5 billion and a production capacity of 455,000 tonnes of magazine paper with main markets in Europe and North-America. Saugbrugs produces 2.7 million nm3 of biogas annually.