NOTIFICATION: The Technology Channels will be discontinued on July 31.
Click here to download complimentary copies of Fastmarkets RISI’s pulp and paper newsletters.

 

Södra opens six wind farms at its Mönsterås industrial site in Sweden

Read so far

Södra opens six wind farms at its Mönsterås industrial site in Sweden

March 09, 2011 - 21:03
Posted in:

VAXJO,Sweden, March 10, 2011 (Press Release) -Södra has opened its six wind farms at its industrial site outside Mönsterås. The project has taken three and a half years to complete, with six wind farms producing an estimated annual production of 32 GWh, enough electricity for around 6,000 households.

Yesterday also saw the opening of the four wind farms which Södra owns together with Statkraft. These are situated just north of Södra's industrial site in Mönsterås. Over the next few years, Södra and Statkraft are planning a major joint initiative to include 30 or so projects at various locations in Sweden, with a total output of around 600 megawatts (MW).

"By building these wind farms next to the mill in Mönsterås, we have been able to optimise our excellent coastal position in terms of the amount of wind available, and we have also used the existing infrastructure and built on it," said Gustaf Tibblin, CEO of Södra Vind.

Södra and Statkraft own and work together to operate wind power projects involving some 350 wind farms. For the Mönsterås project, Södra owns the six wind farms sited nearest to the pulp mill. Statkraft has a 90.1 per cent holding in the other four wind farms, while Södra has a 9.9 per cent holding.