WINTERTHUR, Switzerland, June 8, 2021 (Press Release) -The Italian company Cartiera Confalone s.p.A. manufactures household and sanitary papers. In 2019, the company decided to build a new, energy-efficient tissue line in Montoro, Avellino. The mill produces jumbo rolls in pure cellulose destined for the converting process, for transformation into toilet paper, industrial rolls, kitchen rolls and napkins. Cartiera Confalone s.p.A. has another paper mill close by, in Maiori.
The compressors were not included in the turnkey supply package for the mill. Having learned this, we suggested Sulzer’s HSR turbocompressors for the process. The requirement for the tissue machine was to have 100% oil-free compressors to avoid any stains in the product.
The customer was very interested in the HSR turbocompressor technology for the new high-quality tissue paper line right from the beginning. After we had carried out technical visits to discuss its feasibility for the new mill, the customer asked for an additional HSR quotation for the converting line of the existing Montoro plant.
Because compressed air eventually finds its way out of the pneumatic devices and enters the factory premises, an oil- free turbocompressor was a must for both mills.
We quoted the HSR 145MR compressor for the new tissue machine and the HSR 145HR for the existing converting machine. The customer placed the purchase order for the two machines with dryers at the end of December 2019, and the turbocompressors were delivered in April and June 2020.
The installation and start-up were very easy in both plants. From an operational point of view, it is a stand-alone solution. The production lines are now working better because there is no risk of oil contamination of the products.
- The machine is very quiet and adapts to the need for compressed air much quicker than a standard compressor. That is why the customer was able to reduce the pressure level in the line (from 8.5-9 to 7 bar), which saves a lot of energy. And what’s more, the machine already uses less energy than standard compressors.
- The hot water recovered from the HSR cooling system (turbines and inverter heat) is used as heating water for the converting plant, bringing remarkable additional savings.
- Even though the machine is remotely controlled, the customer trusts it to operate safely. Until now they have only checked the air filter condition, which looked perfect after 6 months in use.
- For the customer, the use of an oil-free compressor was a prerequisite considering future regulations. It is, however, an advantage as early as today to be able to offer the end customers oil-free hygienic paper.
"We based our compressor decision on the 100% oil- free technology as well as on the low maintenance and total costs of ownership of Sulzer’s HSR. It was a good decision." Gaetano Confalone, mill owner
Montoro tissue paper converting line
- HSR 145 HR
– Duty point 27.2 m³/min @ 4.5-9 bar
– Max. input power 205 kW
– Cooling water flow 2.1 l/s
– Max. energy transferred to coolant 190 kW
- Refrigerant dryer Drypoint RA 2400/AC
Sulzer is a global leader in fluid engineering. We specialize in pumping, agitation, mixing, separation and application technologies for fluids of all types. Our customers benefit from our commitment to innovation, performance and quality and from our responsive network of 180 world-class production facilities and service centers across the globe. Sulzer has been headquartered in Winterthur, Switzerland, since 1834. In 2020, our 15’000 employees delivered revenues of CHF 3.3 billion. Our shares are traded on the SIX Swiss Exchange (SIX: SUN). The Pumps Equipment division specializes in pumping solutions specifically engineered for the processes of our customers. We provide pumps, agitators, compressors, grinders and screens developed through intensive research and development in fluid dynamics and advanced materials. We are a market leader in pumping solutions for water, oil and gas, power, chemicals and most industrial segments.