VIENNA, Austria, April 19, 2017 (Press Release) -Global food waste is a serious problem – one that is being tackled by the collaborative efforts of the food and packaging industries and local and global initiatives. Mondi, the international packaging and paper Group, is playing an active role in addressing this challenge through its expertise in food safety and innovative packaging. This topic will again be in focus at the interpack 2017 fair in Düsseldorf, 4-10 May.
Mondi partners with customers from the food industry to develop smarter packaging solutions that reduce and prevent food loss and waste. Together with suppliers, customers, research institutes and experts from the Mondi E&I Food Safety Laboratory, Mondi has identified four ways in which packaging products can reduce food waste:
- Reducing food damage in transit/storage through improved and fit-for-purpose packaging
- Extending shelf and product life with innovative technologies and materials
- Adapting packaging design to evolving socio-demographics
- Achieving packaging traceability for better inventory management that reduces food spoilage
At interpack, Mondi will offer numerous examples of packaging solutions that contribute to food safety and reduce food waste along the entire value chain. These are just a few of them:
- Virgin fibre speciality kraft paper grades like Advantage Smooth White for attractive, functional and certified food packaging specially designed to protect sensitive goods and make them stand out on supermarket shelves. The paper grade is ideally suited for sugar bags and other sensitive food packaging applications.
- ProVantage Kraftliner Aqua, a containerboard grade that stands up to high humidity environments, hot temperatures and cold storage. Even with no paraffin coating, ProVantage Kraftliner Aqua protects fresh fruits and vegetables from harsh conditions and thus produces stable, environmentally friendly packaging solutions that reduce food waste.
- Highprotex, a liner that has all the necessary barriers to protect the packed foodstuff, and that uses a highly efficient barrier film making it more environmentally friendly.
- FlexziBox, reclosable plastic bags with various features and single serve stand-up pouches, making meal preparation more convenient for consumers and reducing food waste.
- High-barrier consumer films with outstanding aroma protection and high oxygen barrier properties, offered as a good solution for food packaging. Such films reduce the weight of packaging solutions and improve their recyclability.
- Industrial bags are also suitable for sensitive food packaging equipped with RFID tags for full traceability along the supply chain.
The Mondi Food Safety Laboratory in Frantschach, Austria, develops innovative solutions for food packaging with its team of experts. They ensure that the packaging designs meet the highest requirements for food contact and other sensitive packaging applications. The laboratory also supports customers in meeting the latest regulatory standards for food packaging. For the second time in a row, Mondi’s Food Safety Laboratory received an ‘excellent’ rating from the German Reference Office for Food Proficiency Testing and Reference Materials (DRRR) after a round-robin test on mineral oils that evaluates laboratory precision.
As a member of the SAVE FOOD initiative, a global effort to reduce food waste and loss, Mondi will again take part in this year’s innovationparc SAVE FOOD forum at interpack. Martin Messner, Head of the Mondi Food Safety Laboratory, and Falk Paulsen, Sales Director Mondi Extrusion Coatings, will give a presentation on ‘How barrier properties of packaging can minimise food waste’. Martin Messner explains, “We are convinced that sustainable and innovative packaging helps to reduce waste and is part of the solution to support the SAVE FOOD initiative. Our packaging and barrier innovations can make a significant contribution to preventing food loss.” This Mondi presentation will take place on 8 and 9 May at 14:10 in the innovationparc.
Mondi’s products touch millions of lives, every day. The Group’s expertise in innovative packaging is leading to smarter food packaging solutions that are helping to protect packaged food and reduce food waste around the world. Visit the Mondi booth in Hall 9, Booth A24/B23, at interpack, 4-10 May in Düsseldorf to learn more.
We are Mondi: IN TOUCH EVERY DAY
Mondi is an international packaging and paper Group, employing around 25,000 people across more than 30 countries. Our key operations are located in central Europe, Russia, North America and South Africa. In 2016, Mondi had revenues of €6.7 billion and a return on capital employed of 20.3%.
We are fully integrated across the packaging and paper value chain - from managing forests and producing pulp, paper and compound plastics, to developing effective and innovative industrial and consumer packaging solutions. With over 100 products customised into more than 100,000 solutions, we offer more than you may expect. Leading brands around the world rely on our innovative technologies and products across a variety of industries such as agriculture; automotive; building and construction; chemicals and dangerous goods; food and beverages; graphic and photographic; home and personal care; medical and pharmaceutical; office and professional printing; packaging and paper converting; pet care; retail and e-commerce; and shipping and transport.
We believe sustainable development makes good business sense. It's integral to our responsible and profitable growth, and embedded in everything we do, every day. We continue to look for ways to do more with less, promote the responsible management of ecosystems, develop and inspire our people, and enhance the value that our sustainable product solutions create.
Mondi has a dual listed company structure, with a primary listing on the JSE Limited for Mondi Limited under the ticker code MND and a premium listing on the London Stock Exchange for Mondi plc, under the ticker code MNDI. We have been included in the FTSE4Good Index Series since 2008 and the JSE's Socially Responsible Investment (SRI) Index since 2007.