JOB #: 170542
BACKGROUND / GENERAL DESCRIPTION:
IFC, a member of the World Bank Group, is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. Working with 2,000 businesses worldwide, we use our six decades of experience to create opportunity where it’s needed most. In FY16, our long-term investments in developing countries rose to nearly $19 billion, leveraging our capital, expertise and influence to help the private sector end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity. For more information, visit www.ifc.org. IFC's forestry sector team, part of IFC’s Manufacturing, Agribusiness and Services Department, supports investment in the Forestry and Wood Products (FWP) sector throughout the value chain, including: forests and plantations, pulp and paper, tissue and absorbent hygienic products, wood-based packaging, solid and engineered wood products (e.g. boards, panels), and biomass. We also provide logistical and technical support to the sector. IFC is currently ramping up its activity in the FWP sector and is seeking to recruit a Senior Industry Specialist with experience in one or more of the following sectors: pulp and paper (including tissue and hygienic products), and paper-based packaging materials. Note: If the selected candidate is a current Bank Group staff member with a Regular or Open-Ended appointment, s/he will retain his/her Regular or Open-Ended appointment. All others will be offered a 3 year term appointment.
DUTIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES:
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Contribute to IFC's forestry and wood products strategies and investment program.
- Provide industry advice to internal and external clients and add value to new business development activities and portfolio monitoring, as well as to advisory services projects.
- Conduct due diligence assessing project strengths and weaknesses, provide investment teams with operational parameters to be built into financial models.
- Participate in investment committee meetings reviewing investment and advisory proposals, and support best practice dissemination and knowledge sharing.
- Participate in conferences and seminars and other events appropriate to maintaining and building sector knowledge and promoting IFC FWP capabilities.
- Assist in the selection, briefing and supervision of outside specialist technical consultants engaged on due diligence and advisory services activities.
- Be recognized within IFC as an authority in one or more key FWP sectors and participate in World Bank Group wide events and specialist working groups.
- 8+ years’ experience at the senior management level of a pulp and /or packaging company and a successful track record of leading multicultural teams.
- Advanced university degree in forestry, technology, engineering or closely related field.
- Sound knowledge of current industry and operating parameters to permit comparative cost analysis and bench-marking, and established credibility as a respected regional or international pulp and paper, and packaging professional.
- Sound business judgment and proven track record of investment screening and assessment.
- Excellent communication skills in English; French and/or Spanish language skills advantageous.
- Good command of information technology.
- Cross-sectoral FWP experience and exposure to marketing, sales, distribution, operations, procurement, engineering, MIS, business development, quality and environmental management.
- Willingness to undertake extensive international travel.